Please be advised of the City construction work on Adelaide Street: Construction on the Ontario Line will require a prolonged road closure on Queen Street West (St. James Street to Yonge Street). As a result, the 501 Queen streetcar will be diverted to Adelaide Street (eastbound) and Richmond Street (westbound). In an effort to prepare for the diversion, the City will replace the 100 year old watermain on Adelaide Street (York Street to Victoria Street). At the same time, the ageing streetcar tracks on Adelaide Street (Charlotte Street to York Street) will be replaced (in some sections reinstated) to create additional TTC route diversion in the downtown core.
Project status update:
Phase 1A is still in progress with water connections being completed by the end of February. This has been delayed due to accommodating unique property requirements for water access. Phase 1B is expected to be completed by the end of March, with Phase 2B and 3B to be completed by the end of April.
- The updated contact list has been provided to the City and shared with contractor. The City requested that all properties inform the City and FDBIA of any changes to key contacts for properties.
- NW corner of Adelaide/Sheppard will be reopened in the next couple of weeks. The repair is awaiting the installation of a connection. Another update will be provided at the next meeting.
- The University/King watermain repair has been completed.
- New traffic signage for the Adelaide/Sheppard intersection to help with traffic issues has been placed and the City will follow up on the status of installation.
- The scope of the Metrolinx work for replacing the TTC tracks on Adelaide includes:
o Metrolinx will be replacing TTC track on Adelaide between York and Victoria. This will facilitate the necessary detour of the Queen streetcar during the closure of Queen Street for construction of two Ontario Line stations.
o Work includes cutting and removing old track, pouring new concrete track and installing new rails.
o Timing is still being worked out for a start date.
o The relocation of the cycle track is expected to occur following the completion of the TTC track replacement. This work will also include relocation of Toronto Hydro infrastructure.
By phone: 416-392-3556
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the project webpage: toronto.ca/AdelaideConstruction